Monday 2 September 2013

Happy New Year

2nd September - can you believe it?

We had a fantastic summer holiday in France. I am lucky enough to a)have a holiday home in Normandy and b)be married to another teacher so we can spend 5 weeks there. Rest, adventure, good food and good company. What more can one ask for in a holiday? Oh yes, sun. We actually had a lot of that too this year!

Unfortunately though, it already feels like a distant memory after 3 days of enrolment at college. We have about 30 6th Form students needing ESOL support this year. I will be teaching the Entry3/Level1 students again but I have decided to do without a course book.

It took some soul-searching - could I manage without the crutch of a book telling me to do p54 on Friday? But there just isn't an ESOL coursebook on the market which is suitable for 16-18 year olds studying here with English speakers and taking Skills for Life Exams (or not one I can find, please, please correct me if you know better.) So I am going to create my own curriculum and pick and choose from all the available material to make it more personally relevant to the students.

Wish me luck with this - I'll keep you posted.

Have a good beginning of term

No comments:

Post a Comment