Friday 14 June 2013

Colourless green ideas sleep furiously

I'm sure you're familiar with this quote by Noam Chomsky. As I recall from my linguistics studies, he used it to demonstrate his theory of innate grammar. We are happy to accept the legitimacy of the sentence despite the fact that it makes no sense at all. However we do not accept 'Green colourless furiously ideas sleep' or ' Sleep ideas furiously colourless green' because these are not 'grammatical.'

Anyway, I took my Entry 1 ESOL class on a trip to a local art gallery this week and we saw this. It is titled 'Colourless green ideas sleep furiously':

It was part of an exhibition called Pandamonium, commissioned by WWF, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of the designer's name. Sorry - blame the bronchitis which has been plaguing me all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment